TR-3: Disturbing engine noise question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-3: Disturbing engine noise question
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.zNET.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:44:59 -0800 (PST)
Cc: resinext@aol.com, DHoemberg@aol.com, 3030p@vm1.cc.nps.navy.mil, oggman2@aol.com, barry.bassola@us.landisgyr.com, david.biagini@us.landisgyr.com
   The engine of my '60 TR-3 has started to make a very disturbing clatter
when being started up cold.  It sounds like a cross between the timing chain
slapping aginst its housing and a really noisy valve.  (I have a vivid
imagination when a noise sounds expensive).  The noise is only evident at
600 and 1200 RPM and it goes away after a short while (10-20 seconds).  The
car has 600 miles on it after being mothballed for almost 30 years.  It
needed no engine work to get it going again.
    I suspect this means that something is not getting oil for a while when
the engine is started cold, but I don't know what it might be or what to do
about it before something potentially catastrophic happens.
    Any suggestions?
Thanks.
   John Cowan

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
           http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/