Re: TR6 dash resto

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 dash resto
From: James Sudduth <james.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 12:43:15 -0800
At 12:55 PM 2/7/97 PST, you wrote:
>Tom, The dash restoration is a relatively easy project with a big return
>on the appearance of your interior.  I second the call to consider the
>replacement of the seal between the body and the screen surround.
>WInter parts sale should result in some savings (not sure if they have
>the crash pad sets in stock or not).  I have seen some very nice
>replacement dashes - some are quite exotic, incl zebrawood or even burl.
> Others have obtained good results by simply applying new veneer.  I
>bought a mahogany board at Home Depot and made mine.  It helped that I had
access to a nice wood shop.  I used a dremel to route the ledges for
>the gauges.
>
>Label your wires from your gauges when you pull them and/or get a good
wiring diagram.  It is a good chance to investigate any non working
>electricals.
>
>I have a set of Panasports and love them.  If you look at the cost of new
>OEM wheels the Pana's don't seem so expensive.  Plus it is getting very
>hard to find straight used wheels.  I usually balance my own tires and I
>have seen a lot of wobbly wheels.

Something to consider:

A friend in my sports car club refinished his Spit dash with regular marine
spar varnish. Gives good UV and water protection and made the original
walnut look great - got rid of that "orangey" look the original Triumph
finish gets after a few years. Would be a good idea to try it on a small
portion of the dash and see what you think.

Anyone know of any reason not to use spar varnish?

Jim Sudduth
jims@autodesk.com
'74 TR6 CF20076U
Berkeley, California USA