Spitfire tales Part 2

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire tales Part 2
From: Postma <postma@interaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:49:30 -0500 (CDT)
To All:

Many thanks for you insightful words of wisdom regarding our first post to
the list. Your help has been invaluable in helping us resolve some of the
little problems that Andy and I have encountered with the little blue beast
that lives in our driveway.

We have found the elusive third gear, it unfortunately resides in the sump
of the tranny. This doesn't present any problems for the near term future
(Andy ALWAYS parks on a hill and if I am driving, Andy can always get out
and push).
We did find two objects safely ensconced in the nether regions of the dash
that I believe to be the hazard and turnsignal flashers (which one is which
is still open to discussion). The left rear wheel's list to port is indeed
suspension related however we found a temporary cure ( always drive on a
road that has a negative crown, it doens't fix the wheel camber but no one
notices it).
The duct tape is still holding the top together and I pray it says inplace
until the new top arrives from TRF along with the domed nuts and spacers to
hold the hood frame together. We did manage to find the horn ( it was in the
trunk where the spare tire should be,under the luggage rack)

And now for the dumb questions that I am sure to be remembered by:
1. Which cylinder is No.1, the one closest to the fan (if the car had one)
or closest to the transmission? I know it is a dumb question.
2. What is the "correct" timing for a '77 Spit w/1500 engine? We are
currently set at 18 degres BTDC at idle with the vaccum removed and plugged.
At 2500rpm total advance is around 4100 degrees BTDC (yes, I said 4100
degrees, I found the timing mark on the dark side of the moon). The engine
starts good and has much pep at 18degrees/idle and about 28 degrees with the
centrifical advance.
3. When the car is driven hard (full or near full throttle acceleration up
to 4000+ rpm with quick upshifts) the car back fires. This happens only when
acceleration is hard, if the throttle is feathered, no backfire. Why????
4. Did '77 Spitfires come from the factory with catalytic converters? And as
long as we are discussing the exhaust system did this car car come with a
muffler? It seems that this car has neither.

On a more positve note, I found all of my old metric wrenches, (not just the
one made by Mr. Cresent) they were out in the garage near the buggy whips and
carriage wax. I also acquired the most important tool that an LBC mechanic
can have, a genuine Anglican prayer mat. I fear that it may become the most
frequently used tool I own.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Postma
Andy Postma 77 Spit