Triumph GT6-H E L P

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph GT6-H E L P
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 15:38:46 -0600
JS>Okay, so here it is. We went to take the Triumph out on a good run in the
JS>country. As we drove along, between 3600 and 3900 rpm the car would hiccup
JS>occasionaly, about every 5 minutes. That's problem one. We finally pulled
JS>over to switch drivers, and, turning to car off, let it sit for a second.
JS>We got back in and the thing refused to start (problem 2). Looking under
JS>the hood, I noticed the radiator was gurgling (problem 3?) and the fuel
JS>pump was kinda low and the fuel filter had next to nothing in it (problem
JS>4). I went back and opened up the gas cap and closed it again to realease
JS>any vacumme that might have been there and we tried it again. Still
JS>nothing. Then, rembering something I'd read somewhere, I went and added
JS>fuel to the carbs through the fule/air mixture screw. Tell me if this was
JS>stupid, becauseat this point I really didn't know what I was doing. Still
JS>nothing. Finally, a real nice guy pulled over and asked if we needed help.
JS>He helped push the car while the other one sat in it and turned the
JS>starter. And yes, it finally fired. We drove a little farther on and all
JS>the sudden it sounded like half our exhasut pipe hit the ground. No, not
JS>the sound of a pipe hitting the ground, but like half the exhaust pipe just
JS>seddenly disapperaed. I got out and, looking under the hood, saw the
JS>adjustment screw for the carb had fallen out. Thank God it fell right on
JS>the part teh of the suspension that could cradle it. I simply plugged it
JS>back in and we drove home. Before ending, a couple quick things. I took
JS>apart and cleaned the fuel pump the other day. It works fine, though. When
JS>we would stop, we'd have to rev the engine so that it wouldn't die. Well,
JS>that's all and any help is appreciated.
JS>Thanx

JS>Jeff Stovall
JS>     jstovall@earthlink.net
JS>         "I'm God's gift to humility."
Jeff,
 Sound like the whole problem IS the fuel pump.
 All symptom indicate that as the source of problems.
 Would suggest one of two things. Replace instead of messing with the
original one, or by-pass it completely and go with a low pressure roary
electric pump. If you go with aen electric pump of more than 4 pounds of
pressure, it would be advisable to change the float valves to what is
commonly referred to as  "Grose jets".
 The original needles in the float valves won't usually hold back the
added pressure of an electric fuel pump.
Regards,
Tony
"GT6s"
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com