Q: Spitfire transmissions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Q: Spitfire transmissions
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:00:04 +0200
Hi again,

I am running a Mk3 Spitfire with a 1500 engine/rear axle. The
clutch/transmission
is still the three-rail Mk3 type and it works fine, delivering probably about 80
horsepower with the Moss plutkit A (K&N filters, extractor manifold, twin
exhaust,
new needles and carb springs). I am considering adding a profiled camshaft and
may-
be later a head with flowed chambers etc, bringing the power output up to 95 -
100
hp.

(Here comes the question) Can the Mk 3 transmission cope with this increase in
power? (I guess it is really the tourque that might be the problem). I have the
option to fit a D-type overdrive to the existing gearbox and I think the OD is
strong enough, but it might be a better idea to fit an entire 1500
transmission/OD
instead. Of course this is also much more involved, so I'd only do it if really
necessary.

 Thanks for your help, Peter