spitfire with GT6 engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfire with GT6 engine
From: "Charles W. Gall" <cwgall@aloha.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 00:02:03 -1000 (HST)
I'd put the GT6 motor in the spit, there was an article in one of the car
magazines published in England which had some information and a write up one
some one who had made the converstion - I thing it was classic and sports
car or thouroughbred and classics - I'll try to find the issue.  The key is
to really view the project as putting the spitfire body on a GT6.  You will
have to use the GT6 bonnet and you will want the GT6 suspension and larger
brakes, trans etc.  I would also suggest putting in a mild cam in the
270-278 degree duuration range and doing some mild head work so that the
motor will breath.  The stock carbs will work with these mods and the motor
will still idle well and pull strong from 1500 rpm.

Here's my story on the big engine small car thread.  It was a 1969 Austin
America with a 400 ci GTO engine (455 heads) installed where the the back
seat was.  It used a corvair trans-axel which was turned around so it could
be used with the mid-engine placement.  This meant that the shift pattern
was also reversed with first where fourth normally was.  The car had big
tires and flairs and tinted rear windows so you couldn't see the motor and
was built by a Navy chief to a very high level of finish.  The car
accelerated so fast that your brain could not process the information as a
continuous stream, instead, it came in chunks.  It would actually lift the
front wheels off the ground.  It was the quickest car up to a hundred that I
have ever driven.  I wonder what ever happened to it.

Charles Gall
Honolulu
69 GT6 +