FW: Engine Rebuild or GT6 shoe-horn?

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Engine Rebuild or GT6 shoe-horn?
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 10:23:00 PDT
Encoding: 33 TEXT
On Monday, Chris wrote:
Here's my latest thought for the month...My 1500 engine is burning oil
quicker
tham my local electricity generator; is it cost efective to have it rebuilt
or
should I look at fitting a new engine?  If the latter, what is involved in
upgrading to a GT6 engine (ie what else do I have to change?)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chris - I am sure others will give you far more info. and details, but from
what I understand here is a partial list (it's quite involved):

bonnet from GT-6 ($$$$)
GT-6 engine & trans
GT-6 driveshaft
uprated front suspension springs, shocks & other bits
uprated cooling system
uprated brakes
roto-flex rear suspension swap (or early non-roto-flex unit)
uprated tires & wheels, etc., etc., etc., etc.

>From what I can gather, it's a lot of time effort and money to do it right
(but when done right it is pretty bitchin' looking and moves right smart - I
saw one at the Palm Springs, CA Triumphest last year).  Of course, you could
do a cheapo half-assed quickie job that will result in you forever being
cursed as a DPO by the person who ultimately takes it off of your hands when
you get tired of dealing with all the headaches.  (sigh)  Like everything
else in life, make the commitment to do it right or don't do it at all and
sell it as-is to someone else.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)