Thrust washers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Thrust washers
From: steve_sides@gilbarco.com (Steve Sides)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:04:31 -0400
     With all the discussion on thrust washers (or lack thereof), I
     wondered if there were some symptoms to indicate that your thrust
     washers have given up the fight.  How can you tell before the crank
     starts eating into the block ?  I suspect you could drop the oil pan
     and confirm that they have not come out but that doesn't help with
     wear.  Can you measure shaft end play without a major dismantling job
     ?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

     Steve Sides
     Greensboro, NC
     70 Spit
     TR250 (in garage - waiting)