Re: Final word on gear oil?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Final word on gear oil?
From: Patrick McMullen <mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 15:49:25 -0700
Dan,

There is no need to fear synthetics eating seals.  When Mobil 1 first
came out it did not have seal swell in it.  This created all kinds of bad
situations and bad publicity.  Every manufacturer of synthetics now use
seal swell.  As for the elevated temperature, this is a concern for some
lubricants.  But as long as the manufacturer claims it is safe for
transmission use, a GL-5 gear lube can be used.  GL-5's have an additive
that helps protect gears against mechanical shock (engage-disengage).
Like a differential or planetary gears.  There are quite a few companies
that recommend this type of lubricant:  Caterpillar, Allison, Clark, and
Sperry just to name a few.
I tried to do my homework before I switched to Amsoil 75W-90 GL-5 gear
lube in my J-type OD.  I feal it was the right move.

Pat in NC