TR4 tranny in TR6?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 tranny in TR6?
From: Kdoc111@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:02:25 -0400
Looking for some advice:

I have a TR4A non-od transmission that was rebuilt in the mid-'70s.  Hasn't
been run since.  Been saving it for possible replacement for my TR6 unit if
it ever fails.  My TR6 is an early model, built in late 1970 (before the Stag
gears were used).  Will the TR4A tranny work in the TR6, or am I holding onto
a false hope?

The Moss TR4 and TR6 catalogues show different input shaft part numbers for
each transmission.  Is this different input shaft just for the later TR6
unit?

Thank you for your advice, though I hope my original TR6 transmission lasts a
long time to come!  (115,000 miles and counting, bought the car with 82,000
miles.)

Sincerely,
Kevin D. O'Connor