Re: Spitfire Engine Paint

To: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@fn.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Engine Paint
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:21:39 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Martin Libhart wrote:

> Anyone know the correct color of the engine block on a 1970 Spitfire?
> I have numerous documentation sources that tell me everything from the
> valve cover color, and when changes occurred, to the color of the
> radiator fan.  But I can find nothing on the color of the block
> itself.
>
> In it's current state, my '70 Spitfire (U.S. version) has an orange
> block (similar to the old Chrysler hemi orange from our muscle car
> days - but I doubt that it is the original paint on the block).
>
> Any answers out there?  And better yet, state your documentation
> source if you have such.

Short answer: Black. Me.

Long answer: from much personal experience with Heralds and Spitfires
over many, many years (yes, even back when the cars were new), I've not
seen an "original" engine block on a Spitfire that wasn't black. Valve
cover colors have changed many times over the years ("copper" to silver
to red and/or blue), but the rest of the engine was black.

--Andy

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register