Re: TR4 cam bearing installation

To: jape@email.unc.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 cam bearing installation
From: JHarroun@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 10:40:34 -0400
John,
Having recently replaced the cam bearings on my TR-4 engine, let me pass on
my experiences.  First, you have to find those  screws; oil will come out the
empty holes.  The screws are not really set screws, they are hex head screws
with a dog on the end to keep the bearings from rotating.
The bearings are not too difficult to install yourself if you have a lot of
patience.  An installation tool is a must, a hammer won't work.  I got a
friend with a lathe to make one for me by turning a piece of aluminum to the
I.D. of the bearing housing, with a step just deep enough for the bearing to
set in.  I used a long piece of threaded rod and some big flat washers to
slowly draw the bearings into place.
You have to be careful to align the holes properly to line up with the oil
passages and screw holes.  Patience comes in when you don't get the holes
lined up quite right and have to try again.  I installed one three times
before I got it right.
If you decide to install them yourself, drop me a line.  I can loan you my
home-made tool.

Jim Harroun
Concord, CA