Subject: FW: SPITFIRE FRAME-OFF RESTORATION

To: "'Triumph Owners'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: FW: SPITFIRE FRAME-OFF RESTORATION
From: Eric Rupert <eric@rpm.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:39:46 -0400
Encoding: 66 TEXT
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 96 11:23:00 PDT
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>

On Friday, a member wrote:

[snip]Am getting ready to begin my first complete frame-off restoration on
70 Spitfire.  There are a number of things I want to check out before I
beginto teardown, and am looking for any suggestions based on your
experiences.  I have also already taken over 200 documentation photos of
all
features of the car in it's current condition.  Are there other things I
should check out before teardown?

**********
My comments on Ross' comments below:

1) Did that
2) Used regular boxes, works the same
3) Did that - Works out great.
4) Didn't Do That :-(   I tossed some things like the "parcel shelves", one
engine valence and the partition from the boot because I saw new ones in a
catalog.  Found out later that they aren't available for a '66 MKII and so
I didn't even have a template to make my own.  1st project, live and learn
 ;-|

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am in the middle of a similar project and can offer a few thoughts.

1) Take photos AS you dismantle the car.  Take LOTS of photos, from LOTS of
angles of the same parts, areas, etc.  It does make a big difference on the
reassembly.  It's cheap insurance.

2) One of the things I did for parts storage and tracking was to purchase
about 10 of the large plastic lidded storage boxes you can find at Home
Depot, Home Base, Orchard Supply, etc.  They have double folding lids and
stack up on each other.  All of the rear suspension parts, for example,
went
in one box.  All of the front suspension parts in another.  All of the body
chrome trim and bits went into another.  Gauges and interior bits in
another, etc.  The boxes are clear so I can see what's inside.  Works
great.

3) The BEST thing I did was to by a jumbo box of big freezor lock baggies
and a jumbo box of the smaller sandwich size baggies.  As I removed parts
from the car (such as the steering coupler or the door handles or the
chrome
letters and retainer clips, or the body mounting bolts, etc.) I would put
them along with the appropriate fasteners that came with the parts into a
baggie and would use a big black felt tip permanent marker to write on the
bag exactly where the part came from and any other details (such as "Left
trunnion w/ bushing - 8 pieces").  Then I placed the baggies full of parts
into the boxes by catagory.  This has made reassembly a breeze as I know
where everything is and where it goes, how many, etc.

4) Don't throw away ANYTHING until you have purchased and received the
replacement part and have confirmed it fits, works, etc.  This is common
sense, but it bears repeating.  The side effect, of course, is that you
will
need LOTS of room for car parts until it is done.
Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)