Re: Hail Lucas!!<199609052332.QAA00415@hupa.nene.ac.uk>

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Hail Lucas!!<199609052332.QAA00415@hupa.nene.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 10:45:00 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>Ahhh. . . what a treat.  Driving to work at 5am the last 15 miles with no
[snip interesting story]
>Well at least I'll have something to do tonight!  Just another day in the
>life. . .

Went to the Spitfire show in Holland this weekend, great time, great people,
GREAT cars......I won worst car of the show award....which I shall covet.  :-)

Anyway, driving down to Maidstone last Thursday night, and I feel a miss-fire,
then the car feels OK, so on I go to the Ferry port.  At about 80mph this
miss-fire rears it's ugly head again, so I slow to 70mph, cars OK.  THEN, my
headlights go out, light up, go out light up.....then stay on.....I know this
is a dodgey connector under the dash so I don't worry too much about it as the
lights are now staying on OK.  Camp the night near the ferry port, get on the
ferry in the morning, plod across the wet stuff at an incredibly SLOW pace to
be met in Holland by a Dutch friend, who then leads the way to the show ground,
car is now miss-firing at 70mph so we slow down to about 65mph, 5 miles from
the show ground as I pull off the motorway, the car dies, starts up, dies,
starts up, dies again, with a LOAD back fire, 2 friends behind me said my
exhaust pipes were glowing BRIGHT red, and lots of red glowing sparks came out
to(Pretty impressive apparently), I coast to a halt and swear a little bit at
the car.  As it was late(about 11pm), my Dutch friend Johan towed me the
remaining 5 miles(ish) to the campsite.  When we got there, after I had
finished swearing at the car, I thought I'd take a quick look in the Dizzy cap,
lo and behold, the fault........so simple I swore again(This time in
jubilation) , the low tension lead from the coil to the points had popped
out.....after slidding it back in the car started and ran like a dream,
although it still popped out 3 more times on the way home....:-(

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know that although I had a few minor
problems, I had a great time.  Anyone else on the list make it there??  I know
you didn't Francois Demont as I asked some french people with a burgundy MkIV
if you were with them, apparently you had a fuel problem I believe! :-(

Next visit is Venlo in May next year for the Standard Triumph European Rally
organised by the TSSC, anyone going to that??

Rich