TR 250 oil leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 250 oil leak
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 19:27:36 -0600
CK>        Last week I asked about what other owners oil preasure guages read
CK>and mentioned a progressivly worsening oil leak I had.
CK>        I think ive now issolated the leak and seek the lists collective
CK>advice again.
CK>        I drove the car about 2 mi then parked over a grease pit.  The oil
CK>was dripping out at a rate of about a drop or two per second!  It was
CK>definatly coming from in between the block and the tranny.   My big
CK>question is how can I fix this leak and what should be done at the same
CK>time.  Im assuming the engine will need to be removed and this is the one
CK>thing I probly cant do myself.

CK>TIA

CK>chris

Chris,
 First, check the back of the valve cover very carefully. Oil has a
sneaky way of creeping down from there and making it look like the rear
main area is leaking.
 Two other possibilities.
 One, the rear main seal is leaking,  and Two, the aluminum block that
holds the rear main seal has started leaking.
 Both of the latter can be fixed without pulling the engine, but the
tranny , clutch and flywheel all have to come out to give you access.
Good luck
Tony
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com