Re: Spitfire U-joint Lubrication

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire U-joint Lubrication
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 09:23:16
> wonder how I can maximize the life of the axle and drive shaft u-joints.
>
> The "ears" on the axle and drive shaft yokes seem to be so large that it's
> impossible to get a grease gun into the grease fittings--when new, my car was
> fitted with set screws in the holes where a fitting would normally go. Do you
> need to unbolt the axle or drive shaft to lubricate the joints, or is there
> some kind of flexible little adaptor that can screw into the hole where the
> grease fitting would go, and allow use a standard grease gun without partial
> disassembly?
>
> How do you boys maintain these assemblies?

What kind of grease fittings do you have at present? There seems to
be four different types of U.J available. 1. sealed for death, non-
greasable, 2. greaseable with a hole plugged with a set screw, 3.
greasable with a short grease nipple. 4. greaseable with a long
grease nipple. If you buy the latter (eg from Moss europe) you need
to also buy a set screw to fit the grease hole because you cannot
drive with the long grease nipple in place. However it does make
lubrication very easy. Certainly no disassembly should be involved. I
believe that places like Moss sell a range of grease nipples for this
type of application.

Jonathan

'77 Spit. 1500