RE: Re:RE:TR 250 oil pressure.

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Re:RE:TR 250 oil pressure.
From: PiJay@t-online.de (Peter Juergens)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 96 17:36 +0100
ckent@ids.net wrote:

>         Thanks to all who helped with my alternator problem.  I drove the
> Triumph about 450 mi. yesterday to Limerock Park. Picked up a roll bar and
> a t-shirt.     My new problem is that a slight oil leek developed into a
> major one.  It seams to be coming from the rear seal causeing the underside
> to be coated and a huge cloud of smoke after it hits the exhust about half
> way back.  Im not sure what advice anyone can give me except, "put a new
> seal in." but im hoping theres some magic triump trick where I wont have
> to.
>         On a related question...Where do peoples oil pressure guages sit?
> Mine will read at 75 at a cold start and fall over the warmup period until
> about four min later when it will be a 25 and sit there until the car cools
> down and then its back to the 75 at startup.
>
> TIA
> chris
>Don Taskey wrote:
>
>Mine runs about 80 when cold, 60 when hot and above 2000 rpm and idles
>around 25-30 when hot.

Hello folks, Don and Chris!

Both readings of your cars seem okay for me and probably for the car too.

But I advise you (you know experience) to cross check , everyone!!, especially
those with an adjustable oil pressure relief valve (think every 4 cyl ??) the
pressure reading with an ordinary pressure gage (like those found on
compressors).
On two of our cars (TR3a and of cause my TR4) the reading of the inbuilt one
was
too low i.e. the pressure too high.

On both cars the same happened: the coupling of the oilpump shaft broke >>>
bye bye bearings, have a nice evening in the garage:-)

BTW can someone tell me, how that sort of coupling is named??

With oily greetings,

Peter Juergens
Germany
PiJay@t-online.de