Re: Towing a TR6

To: Ken Boetzer <kboetzer@auspex.com>
Subject: Re: Towing a TR6
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@cris.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 18:44:11 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, triumph@igc.net
>  CHAD JESTER WROTE:

> > Does anyone have any experience with flat-towing a TR6?  I friend of mine
> > wants to pull his behind his motorhome with a tow-bar...not on a trailer.
> > Will this harm the transmission in any way?  Can anyone think of a
> > mechanical reason not to do this?
> >
> > Thanks for your input.
> >
> > Chad

> >KEN BOETZTER REPLIED:

> Chad,
>
> There is a definite potential for transmission harm. The oil is normally
>distributed
> by the spinning of the gears. In the case of towing, the output shaft is
>spining by
> itself and there is no circulation of oil in the gearbox. This means the
>output
> shaft is depending on the lubrication left after the last powered excursion.
> Cheers,
>
> Ken Boetzer

CHAD,

   I agree 100% with Ken. Although I haven't heard of any disasterous
consequences, where I work (State D.O.T. Vehicle Repair), whenever we
tow a truck over 15 miles we always disconnect the dirveshaft at the
U-joint and tie it off to the side.
   The reason why you always see motor homes travelling with cars in
tow is because they are usally towing front-drive cars with the front
wheels on tow dollies (dolleys?). The rear wheels on these cars can
spin forever because they are simple beam axles or possibly I.R.S.,
but at any rate the wheel bearings can handle this and there are no
transmission worries.
   Once at a campgroud in the Florida Keys I did see and talk to a man
who would tow a Spit 1500 behind his camper, but I didn't think to ask
him what preparations he took or how long he had been doing this.
   If your friend is serious about doing it, I see no problem as long
as he disconnects the driveshaft some how. Just remember, that if the
shaft is disconnected at the tranny, it will spin as the wheels roll,
so better disconect it at the diff. And tell him to stay away from
Arizona for his own good luck!

                         JOE IV
                         TR 250