Re:Spitfire Transmission Troubles<01BB9514.68611CE0@s16-pm01.uncc.campus

To: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re:Spitfire Transmission Troubles<01BB9514.68611CE0@s16-pm01.uncc.campus.mci.net>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:18:07 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>Thanks for all the suggestions regarding my transmission troubles. I've
>purchased the rebuilt O/D tranny. I attempted to install it last weekend,
>of course I have my share of problems: First after getting the spline to
>line up and getting half of the bell housing bolts back in I went to attach
>the slave cylinder and quess what? The little shaft that is attached to the
>yolk was trapped behind the bell housing. I'm sure I'm the first person on
>the planet that has ever had that happen. :-}  Well I got that corrected

Ha ha, been there done that, I actually did this but only realised once ALL the
sodding bolts were in, I then took the box back out, moved the pin, DIDN'T
check it as I slide the box back into position, bolted it all up AGAIN, and
guess what!!!! well, you know the story......Nearly everytime I have removed
the gearbox(approx 8-9 times in under 3 years) I have done this, some people
never learn eh!!!! :-)

>and then went to install the 38 inch used drive shaft I bought, this is the
>dimension that the John Kipping catalog says is needed (the non O/D shaft
>is 41.25 inches). Quess what? It did not fit!!! I measured the distance
>between the diff flange and the tranny flange and get 37.5 inches. Arghhh!!
>I bought that drive shaft for about the price that I would haveto pay to
>have the old one shortened, now I have to have one shortened anyway. Isn't
>this fun!! Actually I can't wait to get the O/D tranny in and working.

Try loosening the engine mount rubbers and sliding the engine forward a little,
it may help.

Rich