TR6 Trailing Arm Migration & Axle Seal Leak

To: Triumph Digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Trailing Arm Migration & Axle Seal Leak
From: Brian Lanoway <76214.2773@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 28 Aug 96 14:38:09 EDT
Hi Everyone:

It's been a while since I've had to communicate with the list.  For those of you
who may remember, I was one of many who rebuild their rear suspensions last
spring and I have to say that after several thousand miles, I'm still more than
pleased with the improved handling and ride that you get with the poly bushings.

I went under the car last night to check that all the bolts were still tight
(they were) and I noticed that both trailing arms have migrated inboard to the
point that the inboard faces of the bushing bores are surprisingly close to the
mating face on the mounting brackets.  Is this normal?  Am I wrong to expect
that the arms should have stayed in the middle of the bushings?  Has anyone else
noticed this migration?  I did have a proper 4 wheel alignment done after I did
the work and both rear wheels are set at the proper toe in.  Comments please.

At the same time, I noticed that one of the axles shaft seals (pinion seal?) on
the differential is starting to leak (no drops, just the unmistakable smell of
hypoid 90 gear oil).  Is there any easy way to change this seal - or does it
involve removal of the differential and a tear down/rebuild?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Brian Lanoway
73 TR6 CF6985U