Herald running problems: Can you help?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs)
Subject: Herald running problems: Can you help?
From: Daren Allder <dallder@bicronne.tcom.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 9:54:00 +0200
Fellow masochists,

My Herald has been having a few difficulties lately and, as I'm not too
mechanically minded, I don't think I can solve them alone.  Here's where
you come in!  Any advice you can offer will be gratefully received
(except perhaps "Buy a real car!")

The car:  Herald 1300 (originally 1200, but with a Dolomite 1300cc engine
 - much the same as the Herald 13/60).  Normal single carb set-up, using
13/60 manifolds, carb etc..   Wire mesh (cleanable) air filter.

What's wrong, then?:  Well, for ages the choke has been very sensitive.
  Too little, engine dies.  Too much, engine dies.  Recently, in the
first few miles of a journey (i.e. while the car's warming up) I've
needed to use less choke when stationary and more when accelerating:  If
I give less choke when stationary, the car idles much better  -  but when
I accelerate I need more choke, otherwise the car is _very_ sluggish.
 Fuel consumption is quite high: about 25mpg average.
Two weeks ago, my wife tried to use the car while I was out, and it just
kept dying on her and was very sluggish when running.  I found that the
carb's dashpot was empty, so topped it up.  That seemed to solve the
problem.  BTW:  What oil should I use for this?  My old handbook says
"light engine oil".  Are modern multigrades still too heavy?
This morning, barely 100 miles later, I was driving to work on a main
road (about 60mph) and the car lost power and got a bit "lumpy", like it
was starving of something: but whether fuel or air or ignition I couldn't
say.  It idles just fine, but didn't want to cruise at speed.  Dropped
speed to about 45mph and got to work okay.  Only had a couple of minutes
to look under the bonnet when I arrived:  Dashpot level is a little
lower, but not too low (I think).  No other obvious faults:  all leads
and vacuum connected.  There is a rubber breather tube, running from the
rocker cover to the air filter, which is kinked so I straightened it out.
 Water temperature okay.  No (new) oil leaks, Greg.

Car was MoT'd end of July and the mixture was adjusted:  it was running
far too rich before.  When I checked the plugs two weeks ago they were
fine.

Any suggestions for the most likely cause(s) of this power loss (and what
I can do to correct them) gratefully received  If you've any more
questions, please ask them!

Thanks in advance

Daren Allder.