BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [livo@chic.saglac.qc.ca]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [livo@chic.saglac.qc.ca]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:55:16 -0400
     Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 19:24:53 -0400
     From: livo@chic.saglac.qc.ca
     Subject: Trunnions on Triumph Herald Suspension

I have a 1965 Triumph Herald. In family since new in the UK; done 46000.00
miles only. Has passed MOT ( Ministry of Transport annual inspection -
including supsension) each year.
The workshop manual, written in the 1960s, and several magazine articles
since, including one in the British Mag. "Thoroughbred & Classic Cars of
Septtember 1996, page 148 say the following.

"Weakest link in the suspension is in the front suspension swivels, known as
trunnions. these should be lubricated (with EP 90 oil, not grease)
regu"larly or they may seize up and snap.

Mine have been greased each 2000/3000 miles each summer, when I arrive in
the UK from Canada. Mechanics all say to me, that now that greases have
imoroved, that it is not necessary to OIL with EP90 but the modern greases
are OK. As my car has stood the test of time, and over 20 years of MOT tests
of the suspenion, I do not know what to think. Perhaps the authors of the
aformentioned article can also respond to my query?
I look forward to comments and advice

John Vincent