Re: Underseal Removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Subject: Re: Underseal Removal
From: "Jim Sudduth" <jim.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 09:53:15 PST
     My $0.02

     This is a nasty, time consuming job. I'd suggest taking it to a place
     that applies the underseal and have them do it. They can dispose of
     the waste properly and you won't have to expose yourself to
     potentially dangerous waste products.

     Jim
     jims@autodesk.com
     '74TR6 CF20076U

Author:  Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com> at SMTPCC3
Date:    8/23/96 2:19 AM

Hi guys,
 Just a quick question about the removal of underseal from the underbody
of my Triumph. I've found several areas where water has been trapped behind the
underseal and caused severe corrosion that wasn't evident at first sight (or
prod!). What I'd like to do is remove the underseal if possible but especially
to find out if there are any more areas that are likely to suffer corrosion
soon and protect them properly.
 I've tried scraping the underseal - a killer. Also have tried wiping
thinners over it - doesn't get enough off quickly enough. I've used a hot air
gun before which was quite good but all these methods take ages and don't get
the stuff out of the seams etc. Has anyone got experience of steam cleaning
removing all the underseal or some such method that doesn't involve time
consuming effort?

Thanks
Andy