Re: Overheating Prob's (Spit)

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overheating Prob's (Spit)
From: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:00:30 -0500
Cc: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
At 03:19 AM 8/23/96 -0500, Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570 wrote:
>Has anyone ANY idea what my problem could be(No, wait until you all hear the
>actual problem before answering :-)), My '73 Spitfire 1300 is always showing
>3/4 or MORE on the temp guage, often nearer to the red mark.  I have fitted a
>full width early Herald Radiator(No improvement at all), new thermostat and new
>fan belt, the car does suffer from fuel vaporising if I switch it off and leave
>it a few minutes before restarting.
>
>Any thoughts on what to check.
>
>ps, if I take the thermostat out the guage reads about 1/4.

Two things - I would first of all check the sending unit - you can get one
of those very cheap in the States at least.  However, from your description
it does appear to be working (to some extent), so maybe your problem is in
your gauge. I have some problems with my sending unit for my oil-pressure
gauge, and have sent it off to Nisonger Gauge Repair (their address is in
the monster list - as somebody pointed out to me) - I believe they are in PA
- but then again, it might just be cheaper for you to borrow somebody else's
gauge, and check it that way.

Just my two cents,

Michael

GT6 Mk. 2 1969 (Red w/1972 GT6 engine - and black targa-top)
GT6 Mk. 3 1971 (White - w/TR250 engine)
....not responsible for any of these changes...
....the DPO did it....hmmmm.....