Timing

To: jim.sudduth@autodesk.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, CHARLES_HYMES@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Subject: Timing
From: SCOTTC COATES <SCOATES@AOAC.ORG>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:43:59 -0400
Jim wrote:

<<Tuning these old beasties should be kept simple, in
my opinion. I have a '74 TR6 on which I tried using a
strobe light and a dwell meter - the car hated it and ran
like s**t. So I asked my buddies in the Triumph
Travelers club how they time their TRs. Now I just use
a cheap timing light (basically a 12 v. bulb with two
wires and alligator clips), set the timing to 10 degrees
BTDC (before top dead center) and forget it.>>

Absolutely - I stopped using a strobe light and timed 10
degrees BTDC with a 12 v and alligator clips and the
car runs GREAT.  It's just as easy -  and it doesn't
take but about $3.00 worth of parts from radio shack.
The Bentley shop manual has a wiring diagram. I will
forward a rendition if you want.  Let me know.