TR6 Clutch/Gearbox

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Clutch/Gearbox
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 10:23:54 -0600
Encoding: 40 TEXT
I have posted recently questions attempting to get help with changing
the clutch on my 76 TR6. Previously I had trouble removing the gearbox.
Well thanks to some of the answers posted on this list, the gearbox is
out!

Now I have some further questions:

1. I'd like to remove the flywheel so that I can replace the pilot
bushing and rear oil seal in the engine. I guess I can get the flywheel
machined while I'm at it too. My Haynes manual makes a reference to the
fact that the flywheel can be removed only with the engine out of the
car. Is this really true??? My problem seems to be that I cannot undo
the four bolts holding the flywheel to the rear of the engine because
the crank shaft turns. What's the best way to undo the bolts?

2. Of course when trying to remove the release fork pin, it broke.
Therefore it is now stuck inside the fork and clutch shaft assembly. Has
anyone ever successfully removed the remains of a broken fork pin and
managed to salvage the fork and shaft? (The problem seems to be that
there is not enough access to the "head" of the fork pin to put a
regualr drill up to it - are there right-angle drills in machine shops
for example which might do the trick?).

3. I want to replace the gasket between the J overdrive and gearbox.
However the Haynes manual states that prior to disassembling the OD from
the gearbox, the car should be driven and shifted into overdrive before
shutting off the engine. I of course did not do this (who looks that far
ahead???) so can I still remove the OD or will this be very difficult???
(I am not an expert mechanic).

4. What size is the securing nut at the end of the J O/D (the one which
allows access to the rear gearbox seal)? I need to buy this part but
would like to know what size it is to avoid several trips to the tool
store.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
76 TR6 (CF58310)