Re: Spitfire Mk3 Commission Number

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Bernard.Christian-Woodruff@ping.be (Bernard Christian-Woodruff)
Subject: Re: Spitfire Mk3 Commission Number
From: muntsb@HiWAAY.net
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 96 21:30:42 GMT
On 8/17/96 1:37PM, in message <v01510100ae3bd66bc29c@[193.74.192.7]>, Bernard
Christian-Woodruff <Bernard.Christian-Woodruff@ping.be> wrote:

> I've finally got round to buying a working Triumph - my other two are in
> the process of dying or being restored.....
> It's an ex-USA (Texas) Spitfire MkIII, imported into Belgium 4 years ago.
> The odd thing is the commission number, which is FDU 39317L. None of the
> books I possess refer to an FDU number, only FD, although I noticed that
> for other Triumph models, a U at the end of a commission number denoted
> USA. Does anyone know what the U means on the MkIII?
> While I'm asking - the car has a MkIV type dashboard which I've read was
> introduced into USA bound MkIIIs late on in the MkIII history - does anyone
> know exactly when this change was made?
>
> Thanks!
> Bernard.

Bernard,

My MkIII is FDU87317l and has a production date of April 30, 1970.  My Spit has
the MkIV dash.  You will find other things that are MkIV such as some of the
wiring, makes that trouble shooting real interesting since none of the diagrams
appear to be for your car.  I have always understood the "U" to mean USA.

Have fun :-)

Bill M