Re: TR250 turn signal woes <Pine.PCW.3.91.960813162658.6511C-

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: TR250 turn signal woes <Pine.PCW.3.91.960813162658.6511C-100000@dos641.nysed.gov>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:39:43 -0400
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Andrew Mace wrote:

> As I said, everything now works, and it all works as well as it ever
> did. Which is to say, the turn signals act as if there might be a bad
> ground somewhere. They flash very quickly and none too brightly. It is
> NOT a lamp ground problem as they all are well grounded (and the hazard
> flahsers work as they are supposed to).

> I didn't have a good spare flasher to try (this is the later-style,
> 2-prong, square Lucas flasher). Does this sound like a flasher problem?
> Anything else I should check?

The Lucas flashers are extremely sensitive to the amount of load in the
system.  Even if the wiring/grounding is all 100% ok, it may be that some of
the flasher bulbs are a different type than the originals (with a lower
resistance, thereby passing more current) and are causing the problem.

I don't recall where on the TR250 the turn signal flasher is positioned.  On
my TR6 it is inside the passenger footwell, under the dash, up against the
firewalll.  Since this is an out-of-the-way place where concours-level
accuracy wouldn't be noticed anyway, I replaced my stock Lucas flasher with
a heavy-duty unit from Pep Boys, or VIP, or Auto Palace, or wherever I
happened to go to get it.  It was about $2.49, and flashes at the same rate
whether there are 1, or 4, or 8, or ..., lights hooked up to it.

Flasher woes are now a thing of the past, except of course that poor
grounds/wiring can still make the bulbs not work...

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631