Need a Cure for Bouncy Tach and Speedo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Need a Cure for Bouncy Tach and Speedo
From: Carelallen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:43:28 -0400
I have a 71 Stag with gages that do not give a constant reading.  At approx
65mph the tach bounces + or - 500 rpm and the speedo bounces + or - 10 mph.
The tach is electric and the speedo is cable driven. Both are Smiths gages. I
have the folowing questions:

1. Is this typical problem for these types of gages?
2. For cable driven gages (speedo) can the cable be oiled to fix the problem.
If so, what kind of oil? How much? From which end of the cable?
3. For electric gages (tach) is there any cure for the ailment? If so, what?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Carel Allen
71 Stag
74 TR6
64 TR4