Tires on Spit/GT6 - "the dead horse" ;-)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires on Spit/GT6 - "the dead horse" ;-)
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:34:00 -0600
NG>Sorry to beat on the dead horse again....but:

NG>Yesterday I spent the day at Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing at Texas World
NG>Speedway, where I had the great pleasure of watching several Triumphs in
NG>action (TR6, TR3, and a Spit) - as well as a series of Super Seven's, Cooper
NG>S, Elan's, etc....  However, what really caught my eye was a Spit from
NG>Austin (not in the race) that had 175/80/13 tires on it - and the owner said
NG>it made a terrific highway cruiser with those on it. Anybody else has
NG>experience with XX/80/XX tires? The looked really good - especially since I
NG>could still use stock 13 inch rims - and filled out the wheel-arches very we

NG>Thanks,

NG>Michael

Michael,
 Don't know about the 175/80's, to me that seems like a puny tire.
 I have run 185/70 on seven in rims. I suppose the wide rim with the 185
tire would make it about the same height as the 175s but I much prefer
the 70 series tires. Lots of tread on the road and good sidewall flex
makes it a real nice road hugging tire great for some of those "long"
West Texas highways.
 I do get an ocassional rub in the wheel well which is the only
draw-back.
Best Regards,
Tony
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com