Re: Spitfire Transmission problems.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Transmission problems.
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 00:32:18 -0400

<< RJ>My '72 MKIV Spitfire has suddenly developed a transmission problem. It
 RJ>shifts fine no grinding at all but when I shift into 3rd and release the
 RJ>clutch it pops out of gear. If I hold the shift lever until after I
release
 RJ>the clutch it holds fine. Anybody got a clue? Is it time for a rebuild?

 >  Syncho ring. May as well do them all along with bearings and seals.
 > Not a hard job, just takes patience and a decent manual. >>

May not be synchro rings at all, since there's no grinding.  You may actually
have broken a thrust washer and third gear is pushed too far back on the
mainshaft, thus keeping the synchro collar from ever engaging far enough.  I
did something stupid in a moment of vadka-induced youthful exuberance in my
then-nearly-new '71 TR-6; my trans shifted perfectly before that moment, but
instantly developed the same symptom.  I totally destroyed a thrust washer --
it was in the bottom of the case in pieces.  I comppletely disassembled the
trans -- cleaned all metal out of everything, replaced the thrust washer with
the correct thickness and also checked/reset all other clearances as well.
 Shifted fine.  Original synchros.  Check the grooves in the internal cone
faces, and if there are still decent grooves and the rings are not warped (ie
if they fit nicely onto their mating cone), they're fine.  Good idea not to
mix them -- keep them with the same gear.  I've almost never had to replace
TR synchros even on well-worn boxes -- they're pretty good bronze compared to
the soft brass used on many other cars.

Not only did I feel like a moron, but the job hurt even worse since I had had
the transmission out twice about 6 months before; once for a clutch and then
again to rebuild a blown overdrive -- and no stupid slam shifts ever before.
 Live and learn...

Be certain that you check and carefully reset all of the clearances while you
have it apart -- DO NOT just take it apart and reassemble it assuming that
everything was OK so it still will be.  A few minutes of checking wasted at
best, or maybe you'll find a clearance or two that're way off, and you can
avoid the pain of redoing the job again immediately...

Good luck !!
-Karl