Re: TR6 Commission Numbers

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Commission Numbers
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:56:30 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Peter Zaborski wrote:

> The Moss TR6 catalog has a section near the front which discusses
> Triumph commission numbers (Production Data in table of contents). It
> states that the commission number found on the left hand door post
> (North American cars) should match the body number stamped on the right
> hand bulk panel except that the two letters will come after the number
> instead of before as on the door post.

I think they are just plain wrong. About the only thing that might
match between the commission number plate and body number plate would be
the letter series, as in your "CF". Even that is not always the case,
although the first letter (again, in this case "C", denoting the basic
car model) should be the same.

Major components came from any number of different buildings and/or
suppliers, often from fair distances. I mean, it's not as if a: they
carefully built, packed for transport, then unloaded and installed items
on the car in exact consecutive number order, or b: only numbered
components as they were installed on the car on the production line.

If the numbers seem to be the same basic series and they are not
outrageously far apart, all probably is original. (Except, for example,
with later Spitfire 1500s, where engine numbers might run 20,000+ higher
than commission numbers!)

--Andy Mace

In my case, a Herald 948TC convertible, with body number RT92 and
commission number Y14439LCV (convertibles were introduced about a year
after coupes, but they continued in the same commission numbering
pattern, hence the great discrepancy)