Re: A Dead Horse named Tires

To: LANG@isis.mit.edu, peb3@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: A Dead Horse named Tires
From: Hctcbob@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 20:13:38 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-08-05 14:05:26 EDT, LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU (Bob Lang)
writes:

>215/70-15 are just slightly _taller_ than stock 185/80-15 tires.
>205/70-15 are more than just slightly _shorter_. The good side is that
>you can dive over the posted speed limit with the 205/70's and not worry
>about the local gendarme (sp?) nailing you for speeding as long as you
>don't go too far above the posted speed!
>
>Wheels: interference betweens the wheel and the A frame is either:
>
>1. incorrect offset and backspacing
>
>2. bent/worn/mis-aligned suspension bits.
>
>I have experience with both problems

Roger Bolick and I talked about this subject this past weekend, and measured
some tires. The mounted Redline was 1/8" taller than the mounted 205-70-15.
Variances for manufacturer sizing makes this .485% difference almost an
identical match.  Roger thinks the "swaybar" interference problem might be
due to a missing steering lock stop on the trunnion/vertical link. If missing
it would certainly cause this problem.

Bob K.