Re: Thank you

To: robert ylitalo <robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se>
Subject: Re: Thank you
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@cris.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 23:40:56 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Robert,

      A similar problem used to haunt my VW camper. The explaination?
   Voltage loss. A VW, with wiring running from the battery (in rear)
   to the ignition switch (in front), and back to the soleniod (again
   in the rear of vehicle), will not get a twelve volt signal to the
   soleniod to get it to properly function. In my case, I had wired an
   ammeter to this system in such a way, as to make another front to
   rear (of vehicle) trip before the electricity got to the soleniod.
   After the 12 volts had traveled the length of my camper 4 times,(rear
   to ammeter 1; ammeter to rear 2; rear to ign. switch 3; ign. switch
   to soleniod 4), the ign. switch signal to start the car was reduced
   to 8 volts! This problem would surface if my battery was run down,
   i.e. from excessive night driving, radio play, or storage. But if
   my battery was fully charged, the reduction in voltage was not so
   great and the VW would start. The temporary cure to get me started
   (until I modified the wiring to aleviate the problem) would be to
   jump the soleniod directly, just like you did. After I jumped it,
   the soleniod would "get better" just like yours did. Maybe the proc-
   cess cleans the contact points...
      The only reason I relate this tale to you is that this information
   came at the expense of many weeks of diagnostic headache.
      So... if your starting difficulties arise again, 1) jump the sol-
   enoid to get home if nesscessary ; 2) get a volt meter on the lead
   that "trips" the solenoid and check for a full 12 volts or; 3) just
   get real angry (read ignorant) and blame "old man Lucas" for every
   %^&$$'ing problem in the world and the fact that British electrics
   are a black curse. Sorry to be so verbose.

                             JOE IV
                             TR 250
  P.S. Potential voltage robbers: excessive/incorrect wiring; corroded
       connectors/switches; low battery volts/bad ground.

  P.P.S. WORDS OF WISDOM : Mech./electrical problems don't just "go away"

                           The Prince of Darkness (Lucas) will never go
                           away.

                O.K. I'm done.