Re: Train Wreck in Slow Motion ???

To: JHarroun@aol.com, SCHWANGAU@aol.com, jtrindle@tsquare.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Train Wreck in Slow Motion ???
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 11:46:37 EDT
> Your "timing by performance" method, only retarding enough
> to eliminate pinging is the same way I used to adjust the
> timing on my TR-3 when I couldn't get high enough octane
> for it's taste.  The Bentley's manual even suggests you find
> a long gradual hill and adjust the timing for best elapsed
> time up the hill.  Timing marks are still very helpful if the
> motor isn't running.

Yes, time up a hill is OK, but revs at the end of the
longest straight is pretty good, too. I got the best
tuning ever on my Rx7 by doing some laps at Watkins Glen,
and changing the timing a little at a time until I got
about 6800rpm at the braking point - that was the best
I could do. It had really good power after that, I haven't
touched the timing since.

--
---
John R. Lupien