Re: Mk III Spitfire Timing

To: jtrindle@tsquare.com, owner-triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Mk III Spitfire Timing
From: CLAY_SCOTT@HP-Loveland-om10.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 08:58:49 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
     To set your timing accurately and EASILY you need to buy an advance
     timing light.  If you have marks at TDC you can time virtually any
     car.  All you do is adjust the knob on the timing light until your TDC
     marks line up and read the actual timing off the scale on the knob.
     To set for say 13 deg. ATDC you set the light to 13 ATDC and adjust
     the dizzy until the marks line up.  It also allows you to check total
     advance- when the vacuum and centrifugal advance is all the way in,
     and you can use a tach to check the advance "curves".

                                Clay_Scott@HP-Loveland-om10.om.hp.com

Author:  Non-HP-owner-triumphs (owner-triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu) at
HP-Boise,unix2
Date:    10/24/95 9:28 AM

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, Greg Meboe wrote:

> John,
>       If I remember my specs correctly, the 69 spit (high compression, twin
> carb, vacuum advance dizzy) should be timed dynamically at 13btdc.  The 2
> atdc setting would be for the single carburettor, vacuum retarded 1970 model
> car, (timing set with retard connected and functioning).

Thanks for the info... this is definitely an advance mechanism on this
carb..  Now, how do I tell where 13 BTDC is? <g>  I do have a cam degree
wheel somewhere, I guess I could just mark the pulley 13 degrees off the
dimple.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"You are what you is. - Frank Zappa"