Re: wheel trim ring

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: wheel trim ring
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 08:56:25 BST
Cc: hal@gort.space.swri.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net

> >   A member of our club is looking for a 13" wheel trim ring for a
> > Vitesse.  He claims that it is the same as those found on than early
> > Herald and the Mk1 and Mk2 Spits.  Does anyone know where he can find
> > one?
>
> Hal, I'm working without references in front of me at the moment, but I
> think they are the same. However, in the U.S. these trims were NOT
> commonly seen on Heralds or Spitfires. They were, perhaps, more common
> in the home market. The basic "nave plate" is the same regardless.
>
> By about 1964, what was more common on the Herald and Spitfire was a
> full, vented and "sided" wheel cover, listed as an option in accessory
> brochures of the period but probably installed on most disk-wheeled cars
> sold in the U.S.
>
> Triumph 2000 sedans also used basically the same nave plate, with a
> Triumph "globe" badge installed in the center, and a trim ring. I don't
> remember now if these are the same as for the Vitesse/Sports 6. Trim
> rings were used on the original GT6, but virtually all Mk.1 GT6s sold in
> the U.S. were equipped with wire wheels, despite what you might find on
> some early sales brochures.
>
> Also, if memory serves, there are at least two different styles of trim
> rings.
>
> I can try to research this more, and perhaps some of our UK TSSC friends on
> the list can shed some light both on use on cars there and present
> availability of same.

I didn't know I was anyone's friend, but here goes nothing:
The answer is that it depends (fudge).  I thought Vitesses always had 4.5J
wheels.  If this is so, then the trim
rings from a Herald saloon, convertible or a MK1, 2 or 3 Spitfire won't fit
because they had 3.5 width rims and the
dish was much shallower.  The only trim rings that will fit, methinks, are
those from a Herald Estate car which had
the 4.5 rim wheels at least from 1967.  If the Vitesse in question has 3.5 rims
then OK.

I'd have to check reference books as to the styles available.  13/60's had a
series of circular holes.  Other styles
had miniature louvres.  I have a brand new set of non-Triumph, but
contemporary, rings with a cross pattern all
around, but these will only fit 3.5 rim wheels.

T2000 trims will probably fit but again I'd need to look at my books to find
out.

Phil 'Confuse us' Willson (no, not Confusius)

TSSC 13/60 Secretary

From:   Phil Willson
        Electronic Engineering
        Queen Mary and Westfield College