Re: Thanks for sump/oil pump advice

To: cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Thanks for sump/oil pump advice
From: jab@netrix.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 12:37:11 +0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> How would it be possible to refit the pump without all the oil falling out?
> (fitting upside down without any bolts/gasket to hold it together, etc.)

I have heard that a good alternative is to pack the oil pump with wheel
bearing grease.  I'd use plain old lithium-based grease (not the white stuff),
not moly grease.  Of course this requires that the pump be removed and
disassembled.
You should change you oil very soon after things are working to remove
the grease from the system.  The grease will dissolve in oil, but it will upset
the balance of the additives in the oil, possibly weakening its protection
capabilities.

> I prefer the idea of priming from the pressure switch much more than via the
> distributer drive shaft. (I'm a novice and would need to be shown that
> particular technique before I would dare try it - I've never even stripped a
> distributer before.)

Actually I don't think that the pump can be primed from its drive shaft;
however,
the shaft can be driven without starting the motor to verify that the oil
pressure
is up to snuff.