6 cylinder distributor help, and I'll be visiting San Fran

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 6 cylinder distributor help, and I'll be visiting San Fran
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:41:55 -0400
        First off, I'll be out San Francisco the end of next week.  Most
likely, I'll be flying in late Friday (the 8th) night.  I'll probably stay until
the 15th.  Will I be out in time to attend the Palo Alto British car show?

        Also, I haven't been able to solve some problems with the
ignition system on my (well, I guess my S.O.'s) GT6 mk II engine.
I haven't been able to get the ignition advance/retard system working
properly.  Apparently the Mk II had to comply with some idle emssion
specification here in the U.S..  So, the ignition timing control was
designed with a vacuum switch in the throttle linkage.  When the
throttle was completely closed, the switch opened and supplied
vacuum to the retard side of vacuum unit.  When you opened the
throttle, the retard unit was shut off and the unit operated as a typical
pre-emission advance.  So, I think a typical operation cycle would
be: at idle, switch open, timing 5 deg. ATDC then as the throttle is
opened, the switch closes, the timing jumps to 10 deg. BTDC, as
the throttle is further opened and the engine speed picks up, the
combination of mechanical and vacuum advance brings the timing
to approx. 28 deg BTDC.

        My car is missing the idle vacuum switch and the diaphram
is ruptured in the advance/retard can.  I haven't been able to find
replacements for them either.  So, I'm looking for some alternative
solutions to get the ignition system working properly.  Some people
have suggested that I use the lucas unit from a TR6, and I would, if
I had one.  But, how about some other options?  Are there any
aftermarket distributors availible for the Triumph 6 cylinder engine?
Ideally, I would get something that had the right advance curve (though
I probably won't be able to get the idle retard system working) which
I could modify with an aftermarket electronic ignition system.  What
kind of system does the GT6 mk III have on it?

William Woodruff                woodruff@engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI