State Of The Spit

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Subject: State Of The Spit
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:53:52 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Larry E. Snyder writes:

 > I got the head off the Spit (mk3) last night. Oh, let's start at the
 > beginning. First I did a compression check:

 > #1 - 124
 > #2 - 150
 > #3 - 54
 > #4 - 95

Yikes...

> Basically, the rings around the cylinders were shiny silver except
> for some spots on #3 and #4, so I assume there was probably a leak
> there.

What do you mean by rings?  Not the piston rings, but just the general
condition of the cylinder walls?  Yeah, the spots on 3/4 are probably
from coolent.  It's very possilbe that 3/4 were sharing combustion if
the head gasket was toast.

 > Oh, by the way, I also put some oil into #3 and the
 > compression was only a bit higher.

Good!  Sounds like head/ head gasket.

> So my current plan of attack is to take the head to a shop and get
> it resurfaces, and maybe have the valves and seats checked out. I'll
> put the head on with a new gasket, and check compression. If it's OK,
> then I'll reassemble the engine.

Sounds like a good plan of attack.  I'd have them grind the valve
seats, put in new guides, etc...  I mean it's already out and in the
shop... what the heck.  (Gosh I love spending other peoples money. :-)
How tired is this engine? miles?

 > If it's not OK, I guess it's time to rebuild the whole thing.

That's always a judgment call, but you'll have to wait to see how it
feels when you get to this point.

-Scotty