Re: Starter Problem II

To: bv243@freenet.carleton.ca (Wayne Tallack), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter Problem II
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 12:31:56 -0400 "Starter Problem II" (Aug 28, 10:23am)
> Subject: Starter Problem II
> Previously I had posted info concerning possible starter soleniod problems
> with my 6.  Many suggestions were received that pointed to other possible
> causes.  Anyway yesterday when I tried to start it on a whim I could here
> the starter turning albeit slowly and rumbly but not engaging the flywheel.
>
> Does this point to a solenoid problem?  Has anyone had an experince like
this?
> How difficult is getting the starter out of a 6?
>
> --
> Drive a British car and keep a mechanic happy.
> Wayne Tallack 1972 TR-6 owner.  Email bv243@freenet.carleton.ca
>-- End of excerpt from Wayne Tallack

Wayne,

This sounds more like a starter problem than a solenoid one. If the
starter is not turning over very quickly, you may have a starter that
is on its last legs. I would pull it out, and at least take the brushes
out and clean it up. The brushes may be bad, or the bendix spring may
be shot. It could also have worn bushes.

If you know anyone else in the area with a TR6, they might be able to
loan you a solenoid before you go buy another.

I don't know what is involved in r&r on the TR6 starter, but hopefully,
some expert will be able to inform you.

Doug Mitchell