X-post, Front wheel grease cap removal

To: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: X-post, Front wheel grease cap removal
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 19:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Scions of Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jeremy,
  There is an easy, quick way I've found to remove the caps without
destroying them.  You need a sharp cold chisel and a hammer. No I'm not
kidding.  You lay the cold chisel against the outer face of the wheel hub
(vertically), with the sharp part pushing down and outward onto the top of
the grease cap. See cheezy ASCII art below:

      ___
      \  \                        <--SIDE VIEW OF HUB-
       \  \  <--CHISEL             --------------------
        \  \                     ------------------------
         \  \
        / \  \
       /   \  \           You pound lightly on the top of the chisel,
      /    |\  \          and the cap is pushed slightly outward.
_____|     |  \  \        Then you rotate the hub 180 deg, and do
     |     |_  \  |       it again.
     |     | |  \ \
     |     | |___\/       Tap lightly each time, and the cap should
     |     | |    \       come out shortly.
     |     | |     |
     |     | | CAP |      In this way, you don't distort the cap,
     |     | |____/       and it's reusable.
     |     | |
     |     |_|
_____|     |
     |     |
     |     |
      \    |
       \   |
        \  |
         \_|

I hope this is clear.  It's really worked well for me.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6