RE: oil filter, TR

To: JMardy@aol.com
Subject: RE: oil filter, TR
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 13:57:31 -0700 (MST)
Cc: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
> This may instantly label me as a Triumph rookie, but is there a good way to
> keep the @#$%^%^& outer oil filter gasket in place while you tighten down the
> filter?

Check to make sure there's only one gasket in there.  I had this
problem, and an additional difficulty getting it tightened down
hard enough before it would stop dribbling.

Turns out that the DPO had inadvertently left an old gasket in there
when putting in a new one, and when I first changed the filter I only
removed the topmost, superfluous one.

The gasket should sit deep in its circular recess.  If it tends to
protrude, you have an extra gasket mashed in there.

It isn't difficult to get it to stay...just put it in with with one
hand, fit the cannister with the other hand, slide in the bolt with
your third hand and reach for the socket wrench with your fourth.

Easy as 3.141592654...