Re: RESULTS:TR6 Clutch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RESULTS:TR6 Clutch
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:25:51 -0600
Milo, you reported the clutch now works (just) but the theory is as yet
unsatisfying. I have one additional experience to offer:

>1) Several have suggested that the combination of thrust washer wear and
>flywheel machining has contributed enough to cause clutch disengagement
>problems.  I still think that this is accounted for by the auto-adjustment
>of hydraulic systems.

Mostly true, the self-adjusting action accounts for varying thickness of
the flywheel and clutch disk. These are polite enough to wear in one
direction and stay that way, introducing a constant offset that is
compensated by the hydraulics. But thrust washer wear allows the crank to
move back and forth randomly and defeats the static compensation. The
"back" forces the clutch slave cylinder to a relatively retracted position,
whenever the crank rests against the rear thrust washer, e.g. going up a
steep hill. The "forth" occurs when the crank is pushed forward against the
front thrust washer by the pressure of the clutch. Since the whole system
seems to be marginal in the first place, this small difference can move it
just tantalizingly out of reach.

Wasn't the first thing I looked for either, and YMMV, but I was amazed at
how much endfloat was in 2 out of 3 Tr6's I've had.

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com