Re: Refinishing wood dash

To: JMardy@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Refinishing wood dash
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 19:13:20 -0400
John, I have a 64 TR4 and refinished the dash myself 4 years ago.  It looks
great and I have had NO problems.  1) The dash is the original; the top
finish was cracked and dull. First thing I did was to get a light stripper
material from Sears.  I applied it to the dash, then VERY gently scrapped the
layers of the original top finish off.  The dash is made of plywood layers
with a thin Walnut veneer for the last layer.  I was worried that the veneer
would be damaged - but it wasn't.  I oiled the BACK of the dash since it was
very dry - I used linseed oil.  I then painted the edges where  the gauges
and air vents fit (with a brown gloss paint) .  When the paint was dry  I
used  DAP gloss polyurethane coating.  The only problem which I had was that
everytime we sprayed the dash it resulted in "fisheyes" and I had to scrape
it again.  This happened  three times and was really discouraging.  After
some thought I bought some sponge brushes - available just about everwhere-
and used them to apply the coating. After it dryed I sanded it with
ultra-fine (2000 I think)  sandpaper.  I then gave it three more coats -
sanding between each one. Best advice I can give you is to take ur time. Of
course the dash was out of the car - so I also cleaned up all the gauges etc
while they were out -sounds as if you have the dash out already.  I ordered
new screws and washers from TRF and they were exact.  Don't know about 250
fittings however.  By the way I am the original owner of the car -having
picked it up at the factory in 1964 - so I know what it looked like then.  If
the 250 had a flat rather than gloss finish use a flat DAP.  Hope this helps.
If u have any other questions give a holler!