Spitfire 1500 rear spring

To: triumphs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Spitfire 1500 rear spring
From: "J.Daley" <J.Daley@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 10:45:30 +0100
Cc: j.daley@boris.umds.ac.uk
While I've got the rear half-shaft off (see previous postings !) I
thought I'd have a look at the rear spring.  The car has a bit of a
lean to the drivers side, like many others.  I remembered reading some
articles about this is the Courier and managed to find some of them
last night.  I seems that at least one common cause of a lean to the
drivers side is wear in the rubber pad that sits between the spring and
the box that clamps it on.

Any other suggestions I should investigate while I've got the spring
out ?  How do I tell if it's lost it's 'spring' ?  I don't want to have
to replace it unless I have to.

The other thing I noticed was a rubber pad, about 1/4" thick between
the outer and inner leaves of the spring eye (this is not the rubber
bush that goes through the centre of the inner leaf).  This pad was
present, but half falling out, on the offside, but absent on the
nearside.  I can't see this pad in any of the catalogues, but the
Haynes manual does say:

        "...make sure that the rubber insulating bellows are correctly
        located in the recesses at the ends of the spring leaves."

Again, no pictures.  Is this the pad I'm talking about or something
completely different ?

Maybe the pad is a DPO fix for something.

Julian.
       | Julian Daley,                     j.daley@umds.ac.uk |
       | Department Clinical Physics, Guy's Hospital, London. |