Re: Oil feed jazz and bearing blues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil feed jazz and bearing blues
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 21:15:03 -0400
In a messages dated 95-07-24 Phil Willson writes:

>>Now, in my view, if there is no further knocking once the pressure has
built
>>up and the light has gone out, then
>>your engine is fine - if it continues to knock then it's time for some
>serious
>>work to be done.

Gary Schneider replies:

>That sounds like good news for several of the worried correspondents. Phil
>or anyone have experience of engines running a long life despite start-up
>knock? I would expect the knock to indicate a little more bearing material
>is being chewed each startup.

Bob adds:
One of my '78 Spits has been doing for the last 30K miles or so.  It hasn't
seemed to get any worse over time.  I have not been into the engine at all,
so I don't know what's inside.  It runs fine.  The 'knocking' really only
happens if the car has been sitting overnight or longer.  Subsequent
startups do not make this noise.
My work-around is similar to what Phil described.  Being "blessed" with
the auto choke Stromberg makes things a little more difficult.  When I
start the car the first time, I just turn the key.  I do NOT touch the
accelerator.  The car usually does not start right up, allowing for me to
use the starter motor to build up oil pressure.  I don't wait for the light
to go out.  If the car DOES kick over it will usually just turn over a couple
of times, or start up with a ~300 RPM idle.  Either way the oil light
goes out and NO death rattle.  The other (50K miles) '78 Spit has begun
to exhibit this behaviour sometimes.  It get's the same treatment.
On the other hand if I touch the gas and set the auto-choke,  the engine
springs to life immediately at around 2000 RPM.  It rattles until the
light goes out, a most disconcerting sound :-(

Bob Sykes
75, 78, 78 Spitfires