Re: Old Horns

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Old Horns
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 14:31:18 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
   From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com

   I've got a couple of those old horns with the big dome tops that
   I've seen in TR-3's.

   Now I'd like to know if there is anyway of fixing or rebuilding
   these horns if they don't work.

Hi,

IMHO the only fatal problem with these is serious rust in the
spring-steel diaphrams. Even if it's not bad enough to make the horn
completely non-functional, it changes the sound.

Other than that, they're adjustable and entirely rebuildable. The only
very difficult operation would be replacing the electrical contacts on
the interrupter (the internal contacts that that make the horn honk
instead of click), but in most cases the contacts can be cleaned up OK
with crocus cloth (and then carefully polished, if you are serious
about them lasting).

They H and L pair was designed to emit a perfect third when adjusted
correctly. If you honk at a musician and he winces, you need to tune
your horns...

--
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu