electrical question (big suprise)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: electrical question (big suprise)
From: thompson@ridgeback.East.Sun.COM (Keith B. Thompson - Sun)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 13:54:07 -0400
hi,

well, the prince of darkness (lucas) continues
to torment me and i have failed in my attempts
to exorcise my tr. i come seeking knowlage and
inspiration from the fathfull...

the amp meter in my 250 wags back and forth like
the tails of my two rodesian ridgebacks.

the needle wags about 1/4 to 1/2 the way into
both the + and - zones and does seem to be
centered around 0. if you introduce a significant
load on the system, like turning on the headlights,
the movement stops (?) and the needle indicates a
slight charge.

this has happened off and on over the years, but
now seems to be a permanent condition. i have hunted
for shorts, loose wires, replaced the voltage requlator,
the voltage stablizer, blinker relay etc. i have not
replaced the alternator or the meter. my battery keeps
a good change, no problems starting... i.e. everything
else seems to work fine!

one more thing, sometines, and i can't narrow down
on when, the glass INSIDE the amp meter fogs up.?
(overheating?) this may or may not be related.

any help????

thanks,

kbt