Re: Spitfire Engine Restraining Cable

To: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Engine Restraining Cable
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 15:49:36 -0400
Hello Triumph types,
In a message dated 95-06-29 08:31:54 EDT,Doug Mitchell writes:

>Does anyone know when the restraining cable was added? I know that
>I have never seen one.

My '74 Spit did not have one, the 75 does.  I believe this was a "Federal"
thing added for safety. I read somewhere it is supposed to stop the
engine from entering the passenger compartment, in the event of accident.
This makes little sense to me as the cable would 'compress' with this
type motion.  The cable is connected:

-  one end mounted to rear tranny support bracket
-  the other end to bellhousing terminating in a threaded
   fitting which replaces a lower tranny to engine bolt.

The theory that this cable might be a good electrical ground
was disproved (privately) by Mr. Pratchios who informs:
--------

      Material    Resistivity
         Copper =  1.7 micro ohm-cm
manganese steel = 70.0 micro ohm-cm
stainless steel = 90.0 micro ohm-cm
---------

I didn't realize this cable was stainless.  I thought all that oil
covering it was preventing it from rusting  :-(

Bob Sykes
75, 78, 78 Spitfires